Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Sole Food: Pinching pennies post-grad style


Basic Bruschetta

Ingredients:

  1. (1) baguette = 99 cents
  2. Olive oil
  3. Minced garlic = 50 cents (one clove)
  4. Mozzarella = $4-$8 (shredded or fresh)
  5. Fresh basil = free if you grow it at home*
Total Cost: $5.50-$9.50 (around $15 with tomato, avocado)

Directions:

  1. Cut baguette into 1/2 inch to 1 inch slices and arrange in a single layer on a baking pan.
  2. Drizzle slices with olive oil a broil until golden and crisp
  3. Remove from oven and pile slices with favorite toppings (garlic, sliced tomato, avocado, etc.)
  4. Place mozzarella medallions (or sprinkle the cheese) on top of the slices and top with a basil leaf.
  5. Broil once more until cheese has melted. Serve.
*I love to buy basil plant starts and plant them in a pot I keep in the apartment. If you cut holes into a Ziploc bag and shove it over the pot, the plants really thrive = ghetto greenhouse. I pay $1 for the start and have fresh basil throughout the season as opposed to $4 for a tiny package --with one puny sprig-- at the store)

Image: Heartofwisdom.com

3 comments:

Cassie Allen said...

It's funny actually that you posted that ziploc trick. I just learned about that on Sunday actually. A friend of mine grows basil as well and was going on and on about all these garden tips. This recipe looks amazing, and I am very excited to go home and try this out! It's going to be great for my house warming party in August. Cheap, beautiful, and tasty are the three best words to describe my ideal treat!!!

EESP said...

Yum. I will have to try this. I like your other recipe, too. I had never heard of the ziploc trick before. You've given me lots of good ideas.

Peggy said...

I can grow all kinds of plants but have had multiple failures with basil. Now I will try again with your greenhouse tip.
Your student-budget recipes are great. I'll try to find some to share. Most budget recipes involve pasta!

Post a Comment